Where is Victoria Park?
- Victoria Park is in the north Brisbane suburb of Herston.
- Victoria Park is bounded by Gregory Terrace, Victoria Park Road, Queensland University of Technology – Kelvin Grove, Herston Road and Bowen Bridge Road. There is a golf course, driving range, putt putt and function centre.
- The Inner-City Bypass (ICB) and Railway runs through the southern section of Victoria Park.
When did Council decide to upgrade Victoria Park?
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner announced on 9 June 2019 a proposal to rejuvenate the Victoria Park precinct and to make it more accessible to the Brisbane community.
Is Victoria Park heritage listed?
Yes, Part of Victoria Park is a State heritage-listed park and was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 3 December 2007. Part of Victoria Park is also listed as a Local Heritage Place under City Plan 2014.
Will the Victoria Park Vision acknowledge the Aboriginal association with the site?
Victoria Park is a known place of high significance to the Aboriginal people of greater Brisbane and as such will be recognised as part of the Vision.
Will Council sell off any land or allow high-density living?
Council has no authority or plans to allow high-density living on the Victoria Park site. The land on which Victoria Park sits is mainly owned by the State Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy as a Deed Of Grant In Trust (DOGIT) for a combination of park and recreation purposes. The land is under Council’s custodianship and under the Land Act the trustee is not authorised to dispose of the trust land. Any proposals for commercial use would be subject to the Minister Natural Resources, Mines and Energy approval.
What infrastructure is currently in Victoria Park?
Victoria Park is a popular recreational and park reserve for organised sport and informal recreation containing many sporting facilities such as cricket pitches, tennis courts, golf course, bikeway and a swimming pool.
What is happening with the Victoria Park Golf Complex and Golf Course?
- The Victoria Park Golf Complex including the function centre, driving range, putt-putt mini-golf will continue to operate throughout planning, design and construction of new park upgrades.
- The 18-hole golf course will remain open until construction commences in 2021.